Support this site with every purchase with this link.

RPGNow.com

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Making D&D basic more basic.

I really like running D&D 5th edition with just the free basic rules. I find it to be a simple elegant set of rules in and by itself.
Adding the occasional background or other options from the full rules set for flavor.

But I've been thinking, can I make basic D&D even more basic? Can I trim even more fat? I believe I can, here is how.

I propose dropping skills all together. That's right, no skills. Instead characters get their proficiency bonus to all rolls. Proficiency is the characters power level and experience. Like old school D&D weapons are restricted to your class proficiency weapons.

When characters make a roll that involves the characters background in any way, the character has advantage for the roll. If the character makes a roll appreciate to their class, they have advantage.

I haven't tried this yet. But I hope to soon.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you are doing here, though I think this is more of a Background Proficiency variant (dmg) than 'dropping skills' altogether. I am taking some of it and running with it here:

    http://mythlands-erce.blogspot.dk/2016/09/further-thoughts-on-bx-5e-hack-rednext.html

    ReplyDelete

Power 10 for 5E D&D.

As I play more and more fantasy role-playing games, especially D20 variants, I find that some of my favorites are the ones that boil the ent...