Support this site with every purchase with this link.

RPGNow.com

Monday, November 15, 2010

4E D&D Revisit

I really want to give 4E another go. As I've stated We really enjoyed it. But I just didn't feel it was a game we would continue to play. I have really been focusing on rules-lite games. And has nothing to do with most criticism
against it.

Most of the criticisms again 4E really doesn't matter to us. Yes its tactical and uses minis. Yes it has elements in common with online MMORPGs. My players love strategic mini games and all have or do play Online MMORPGs. Most of those elements are just common elements between the two. It just uses the MMORPG terminology for it. Who doesn't have the fighter first in marching order rather than the wizard. Now it is called a defender or tank. But the job is the same, Meat shield.

I just felt the system was far from rules lite. But to be fair I'm coming into it years after the release with tons of material out for it. Tons of material, Tons of options and abilities. With the release of the essentials and articles like this one by Greywulf I have really been thinking it over. Much of this is my perspective. I really don't need all three players hand books for every game. Or even every ability from players hand book one.

Before I permanently shelf my 4E books I really need to scale a game back a bit and play the game with out trying to include every bit of material I can find. I'm debating getting some essentials books.

2 comments:

  1. Well my group has played all sorts of games. We playtested Buffy, Ghosts of Albion, Doctor Who and other games I know you like and we also enjoy 4e. We just played it again this past weekend and it was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Its just that I have been moving towards a lot of rules lite systems. Or liter than older systems I used to run. While I don't think 4E is super complex I think I just over loaded my players with options. Dropped a few years worth of material on them all at once.

    ReplyDelete

Power 10 for 5E D&D.

As I play more and more fantasy role-playing games, especially D20 variants, I find that some of my favorites are the ones that boil the ent...