Support this site with every purchase with this link.

RPGNow.com

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Castles & Crusades, Optional rules. Pt.2

Another optional Rule I am really thinking about using is spell points.

I have never been fond of "cast and forget" magic. I kind of understand it coming from war gaming roots. But beyond that I don't get it. If you like it that is cool. I just don't care for it, never have.

Im thinking about using each level as spell as a set number of spell points. So if a character can caste 3 level one spells than he can caste any 3 level one spells he knows in a day. This is true for every level of spell. All but  level 0. Level 0 spells are unlimited. The number on the spell chart is the number of level 0 spells a character knows.

I really like the Background optional rules by Jason Vey. I'm really thinking about giving it a roll too.

I'm seriously thinking about maxing out level at 12. With the way C&C is laid out level 12 seems just fine for max. I don't see any reason for progression on.

Hit Die start at max at first level. This was one of my first house rules back playing AD&D.

On a roll of 1 the character fumbles the attack and looses the rest of their turn.
A roll of 20 is an auto hit no matter what roll was needed. On an attack roll weapons do max damage.

I will be using the Background optional rules by Jason Vey. Players will get one roll on the chart and then find a way to explain the background.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I was also following your Unisystem Blog. It seems that it is no longer active. Could please repost your ideas about using 2d6 instead of 1d10. I wanted to try that option at our next gaming session

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I deleted it. I figured it was better to neglect one blog at a time. Ill repost it here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An alternative would be to let 1st & 2nd level spells be "per encounter". Its worked well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sunsword- I really like that Idea. Might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Power 10 for 5E D&D.

As I play more and more fantasy role-playing games, especially D20 variants, I find that some of my favorites are the ones that boil the ent...