Saturday, March 24, 2012

Why all the hate?

I find it very strange when I hear players hate on a game. I myself have been guilty of it I know. But any more I really feel that if some one is enjoying a game, It is a good game.

I find that so often a negative experience with a game has led to the hard feelings. Which is sad. Worse still is when its not first hand hate. Its reading blogs, reviews, or message boards. Suddenly the person is an expert on the short comings of this game or that game.

Some players don't like hitpoints, finding them "unrealistic". Others don't like rolling a d20, and are convinced only systems with a bell curve are worth playing.

I was like this once too. Jumping from system to system looking for that perfect game. Again, you know what I learned? Fun trumps realism and game mechanics. Trying to dictate how best to have fun by way of mechanics or "realism" in a game is like explaining a joke. If its funny it requires no explanation. and if its not, explaining it rarely makes it so.

I personally don't think any current game I run is perfect. Not one of them is the most realistic. But as a GM I enjoy running them. My players seem to enjoy playing them. That makes them the perfect game to me.

1 comment:

  1. You know, you have a really good point, and it's a shame more people aren't saying the same thing.

    ReplyDelete